HMS Bronington.

HMS Bronington (M1115) is one of the last conventionally built minesweeping vessels to be ordered by the Royal Navy. She is one of the Coniston class of minesweepers which were constructed  between 1951 and 1959. They are one of the most numerous class of ships to  have served in the Royal Navy. All were constructed with timber hulls and alloy upperparts, and were powered by 2 Mirrles Blackstone diesels of 2500 hp, with later ships being fitted with 2 Deltic diesels of 3500 hp, both driving two shafts and giving 15 knots at maximum speed. Weapons  fit varied but was normally 1 x 40mm Bofors and 2 x 20mm Oerlikon’s.  Minehunters normally  carried just 1 x 40mm Bofors

The Bronington  was constructed by Cook Welton & Gemmel at Hull and   Beverley. She was laid down in 1951 and launched in 1954. She was named H.M.S. Humber  and was stationed with the 10th M.S.S. R.N.R. In 1958 she was commissioned as Bronington  and sent to the 100th M.S.S. In 1965 she was converted into a minehunter at Rosyth and
stationed with the 1st M.C.M.S. In 1974 she was refitted at Gibraltar and then returned to   Rosyth to rejoin the 1st M.C.M.S.

HRH The Prince of Wales was in command for most of 1976.

Between 1980 and 1984 she was serving  with the 2nd M.C.M.S and with STANAVFORCHAN.

She was eventually taken out of service in 1988 was then owned by the Bronington Trust until mid 2002 when she was passed to the Warship Preservation Trust and moved from Salford Quays to Birkenhead.

Further information and details of opening times, can be obtained from http://www.warships.co.uk